Dmitry Bivol Defends Canelo Alvarez

The unbeaten WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol issue a statement in defense of his recent rival in the ring, Canelo Alvarez.

Canelo took the daunting task of becoming only the second man in the history of the sport to become a five-division champion last Saturday at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas – the first one to achieve this feat was Manny Pacquiao.

But standing in his way was the formidable Russian, Bivol who made sure that this doesn’t happen right now.

After the fight, Canelo (57-2-2, 39 KOs) became the center of attention with fans questioning the Mexican’s approach to the fight.

Since then, Canelo has been receiving harsh criticism with many boxing pundits feeling that the 31-year-old lacked motivation for the contest and didn’t train well for this fight as he used to do before.

Many of them believed that Canelo has been exposed as he was yet to fight anyone of Gennadiy Golovkin’s caliber since 2018 until he met Bivol.

But his opponent shares completely different views.

Bivol (20-0, 11 KOs) thinks that Canelo is “still one of the best” despite his loss and believes that the Mexican can make a strong come back from the defeat to take apart anyone at 168 and 175 – but, of course, not him.

“He still has four belts, and he is a champion in four weight classes. He’s a great fighter; he’s a legend still. Canelo’s haters are hating now, but he’s still one of the best. I respect him,” said Dmitry Bivol to DAZN.

Canelo can get a second bite at the cherry as there is a mandatory rematch clause in their contract. Whatever the decision may be, Bivol is open to giving him another shot at his title.

“It’s not my goal to have a rematch with Canelo. I have a goal to be undisputed [at 175]. I’ll give him a rematch, of course, if he wants. I’ll give him the opportunity,” said Bivol.

Many fans judged Canelo to be flat-footed, and sluggish in his loss to Bivol.

The 31-year-old was more inclined toward delivering power punches that he rarely used a jab during the whole fight as pointed out by the legend, Mike Tyson.

Tyson posted a video of him explaining what went wrong for Canelo and how the result would have been different if he had fought smartly.

“I just think if Canelo was using his jab effectively, hard, the guy [Bivol] wouldn’t have come because the guy was coming in because he wasn’t worried about Canelo’s jab,” Tyson said.

“So he got more aggressive and he got brave. If you’re not jabbing he [Álvarez] has no defense. If he’s not gonna jab, the guy is gonna walk right in on him like he did.”

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

buy ivermectin for humans ivermectin for sale