The parties representing Dmitry Bivol and Gilberto Ramirez have missed their deadline.
Now, the ordered fight for Bivol’s WBA light heavyweight title will have a scheduled purse bid on August 21 to determine promotional rights.
“After the negotiation period from July 11 to August 10 expired and the parties did not reach an agreement, the pioneer organization made the decision to call for the bidding,” WBA Championship Committee chairman Carlos Chavez said in a letter to all WBA-registered promoters, which was obtained by Boxing Scene.
“The communication was officially sent to both parties on Thursday, August 11.
“The minimum amount to participate is US $ 400,000.00, while the split will be 75% for the champion Bivol and 25% for the challenger Ramirez as established by the rules of the body.”
On Wednesday, the WBA rejected Bivol and promoter Eddie Hearn’s request to skip Ramirez and instead face Joshua Buatsi.
“The last time a mandatory fight was held in the 175-pound division was in March 2018, so the lapse is expired for the champion and he must face the mandatory challenger as established by the rules,” Carlos Chavez, chairman of the WBA Championship Committee, told Boxing Scene.
Bivol (20-0, 11 KOs) is coming off of the biggest win of his career. He outboxed undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez to a unanimous decision victory. Alvarez had attempted to capture Bivol’s light heavyweight title, but instead, he suffered his first loss in years; his last loss was to retired boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.
Bivol and Alvarez could have gone into a rematch, but Alvarez chose a trilogy fight with Gennadiy Golovkin on September 17 – a fight that was also included in Alvarez’s contract.
Meanwhile, Ramirez (44-0, 30 KOs) secured his mandatory standing with a fourth-round knockout of Dominic Boesel in their final eliminator on May 14.
Last month, Ramirez said he was confident that the Bivol was going to happen and his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, was pleased to see that it did push through.