Duke Ragan Reaches Featherweight Quarterfinals At Tokyo 2020
Team USA star Duke Ragan (4-0), bested Kazakhstan’s Serik Temirzhanov on Wednesday morning to book a place in boxing’s men’s featherweight division at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The Western Hills High School graduate got away with a victory by unanimous decision.
He turned pro amid the coronavirus pandemic and was added to Team USA via international allocations.
The young American boxer opened the account for his team with a split decision win against France’s Samuel Kistohurry to reach the round of 16.
He will fight Ireland’s Kurt Walker next on Saturday for a spot in the semi-final. The Ireland star is also in the limelight after he beat No. 1 seed Mirazizbek Murzakhalilov.
This is how all the fights on Day 5 went down:
• Kurt Walker (Ireland) def. Mirazizbek Mirzakhalilov (Uzbekistan)
• Duke Ragan (United States) def. Serik Temirzhanov (Kazakhstan)
• Samuel Takyi (Ghana) def. Jean Carlos Caicedo (Ecuador)
• Cesar David Avila (Colombia) vs Everisto Mulenga (Zambia)
Men’s light heavyweight
• Imam Khataev (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Bekzad Nurdauletov (Kazakhstan)
• Gazimagomed Jalidov (Spain) def. Paulo Aokuso (Australia)
• Keno Machado (Brazil) def. Daxiang Chen (China)
• Ben Whittaker (Great Britain) def. Abdelrahman Salah (Egypt)
Women’s featherweight (Quarterfinals)
• Nesthy Petecio (Philippines) def. Jenny Marcela Arias (Colombia)
• Irma Testa (Italy) def. Caroline Veyre (Canada)
• Lauren Price (Great Britain) def. Myagmarjargal Munkhbat (Mongolia)
• Atheyna Bylon (Panama) def. Caitlin Parker (Australia)
• Tammara Thibeault (Canada) def. Nadezhda Ryabets (Kazakhstan)
• Nouchka Fontijn (Netherlands) def. Elzbieta Wojcik (Poland)