Edgar Responds To McGregor’s “Offer” For UFC 222
On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, Frankie Edgar finally spoke out surrounding Conor McGregor’s bombshell revelation that he offered to fight Edgar at UFC 222.
“I think if it was real, Dana would’ve called me personally,” Edgar told Ariel Helwani (via MMA Fighting). “He’s done before. With something like that, Dana would’ve called me personally, and he didn’t, so I have to think that it wasn’t real.”
“I don’t know, I think Conor’s just being Conor, man,” he added. “He’s the best at it, right? He’s the best at making news and staying relevant. I don’t mean relevant, he’s the most popular guy in our sport, this and that, but staying in the news cycle. He does it better than anybody, except maybe Floyd Mayweather.
“I’m not surprised by it, and I’m not getting sidetracked by it because it doesn’t matter. It’s non-news to me. Because the news is I’m fighting a guy who fights in the UFC right now, Brian Ortega.”
McGregor made headlines last week when he posted on Instagram that he offered to fight Edgar, as a replacement for UFC Featherweight champion, Max Holloway. The current lightweight champion, McGregor claimed that the UFC rejected the offer because they would not have enough time to promote the pay-per-view which is on March 3rd.
Edgar told Ariel Helwani, that while McGregor has allegedly called for an 165 pound division, he would have fought the Irish superstar at any weight.
“He doesn’t want to defend his own belt. What, he wants to fight me? I mean, hey, that’d be great. That’d be great for me. Let’s be real. I’m not scared to fight anybody. Come on, I’ve been doing too long to be scared to fight anybody. I mean, if anything, that would be very good for me, to fight Conor McGregor.”
“I would’ve fought him in any weight class, to be honest with you.”
Original Story: Bloody Elbow