With Terence Crawford out against Errol Spence Jr – for now – two other boxing champions are trying to get their title shot.
The teams of WBA welterweight champion Eimantas Stanionis and IBF top contender Jaron “Boots” Ennis have petitioned with their respective sanctioning bodies to enforce their due welterweight title shots.
“I have the first right to fight with Spence,” Stanionis said on social media.
“If he does not fight or forfeit the WBA Super Champion title, there will be no WBA Super Duper Champion and only the one I have will remain.”
Stanionis (14-0, 9 KOs, 1 NC) has held the secondary version of Spence’s WBA title since defeating Radzhab Butaev in April via 12-round split decision.
Spence picked up the WBA “Super” strap when he defeated Yordenis Ugas, on the same card as Stanionis, by a tenth-round injury stoppage.
Stanionis was due for a title shot against Ugas, but the Lithuanian boxer had stepped aside to let Spence-Ugas happen.
Spence has not made a mandatory defense of any title since he overcame Danny Garcia in December 2020 via points.
As for Ennis (29-0, 27 KOs) he has been waiting for a chance at the crown since his second-round knockout of Custio Clayton in their May 14 IBF title eliminator.
“Look how long it’s been, Spence ain’t did none of them mandatories,” Derek ‘Bozy’ Ennis, Jaron’s father, manager and head trainer told YSM Sports Media.
“We sent a petition to [the IBF] already.”
Also in the background is former unified welterweight champion Keith Thurman (30-1, 22 KOs, 2 ND), who is the No. 1 contender with the WBC. He has previously told media that if Crawford-Spence doesn’t happen, he’s ready to be called in as a replacement.
The commotion stirred after it was announced that Crawford will be taking a stay-busy fight against ranked welterweight David Avanesyan on December 10.