Ellerbe: Mayweather Wants To Stay Retired
Manny Pacquiao made it clear on Saturday night that he wanted a rematch with Floyd Mayweather.
Pacquiao, 40, had just finished a successful defense of his WBA “regular” welterweight title over Adrien Broner, when he told Mayweather he wanted a shot to reclaim a win over Mayweather, who defeated him in 2015.
Yet, during the post-fight press conference, Mayweather Promotions CEO, Leonard Ellerbe, made it clear that Mayweather is not looking to put the gloes on again.
“No. He’s retired,” Ellerbe said during the post-fight press conference. “He has no interest in doing that.”
“Well, it’s not always about the money, believe it or not,” Ellerbe explained.
“It’s not always about the money. What more can the man do? You know, he doesn’t have the motivation, the desire. You know, he’s living his best life. Traveling, running his multiple businesses, spending his [hard-earned money], that he spent blood, sweat and tears many, many years [making].”
“Well, he’ll be 42 come February 24th and, you know, enough is enough,” Ellerbe said of Mayweather’s fighting days being over. “You know, what good does it do you to earn all that money, when you can’t stick around and spend it? You know, he’s had a phenomenal career. He’s broke all the records. He has nothing else to prove. I’m very happy for him.”
Time can only tell in-regards to Mayweather staying retired, especially with his challenging not only Pacquiao to a rematch late last year, but calling out UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov after a video featuring Khabib and Ellerbe was released with a challenge to the undefeated boxer.
Quotes Via: Boxing Scene