Errol Spence Jr Doesn’t Know When He’s Fighting Again

He said he's still trying to "figure things out."

Despite the WBA and WBC issuing orders for Errol Spence Jr to fight Keith Thurman, Spence said he’s not sure when he’s fighting again. 

Spence posted that on social media, adding that he was “blindsided” after his anticipated undisputed welterweight title fight against Terence Crawford fell through. 


The fight between Spence and Crawford was originally planned for this month, but negotiations prolonged because Crawford wanted full transparency on event expenses since there is no guaranteed fight purse.  

That pushed back the fight to a February or March date, but recent reports said that Spence would defend his world titles against Thurman in February. 

“On November 14, 2022, TGB Promotions applied for special permission on behalf of Spence to fight Thurman in February 2023, but with specific mandatory conditions. Pursuant to WBA rule C.16, which states that mandatory defense periods can be modified for cause, either by special permission request or on its own initiative, the WBA decided that Spence can face Thurman,” the WBA stated. 

The WBC issued the same order earlier this month. 

With the WBA, they announced that they have plans to consolidate the welterweight titles by having the winner of Spence-Thurman and Eimantas Stanionis-Vergil Ortiz to eventually fight – pushing back Crawford’s spot in the line. 

He has a stay busy fight on December 10 against David Avanesyan. Spence also previously revealed that he doesn’t intend on staying in the welterweight division for much longer. 

Both Crawford and Spence have insisted that they intend on making the fight happen, but now, it’s only a matter of when.  

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More