Errol Spence Jr Says Time Is Ticking For Terence Crawford Fight
Boxing fans are still waiting for the official announcement of Errol Spence Jr vs Terence Crawford.
And according to Spence, it’s now or never.
“It’s closer now than it’s ever been. If it don’t happen now, it’s never going to happen. It’s way closer than it used to be. I think it’s definitely going to happen,” Spence told FightHub TV.
Spence was in Texas on Friday supporting Frank Martin’s fight against Jackson Marinez, who fought on the undercard of Mark Magsayo versus Rey Vargas. Martin won the fight by dropping him just before the bell in the 10th round.
Spence, meanwhile, has not fought since a TKO win against Yordenis Ugas in April for his WBA “Super” world welterweight title.
After his 28th consecutive win, Spence answered Crawford’s longtime calls and said he wants an undisputed title fight.
Crawford, who holds the WBO belt, the last one that Spence would need, jumpstarted his callouts to Spence after he left Top Rank in November 2021. The decision was announced after he scored a TKO victory over Shawn Porter.
Spence and Crawford have been linked for a fight for about the last half-decade. Negotiations, however, have always fallen through because of Crawford being with Top Rank and Spence with Premier Boxing Champions.
Porter was, arguably, the toughest challenge Crawford has faced in the welterweight division.
Spence has been a career-long welterweight while Crawford has seen success at 135, 140 and, currently, 147 pounds.
Crawford previously said fighting Spence is still in his vision.
“Hopefully. That’s the plan. It’s up to us to get the job done on the business side, to be able to share the ring for all you guys who want to see us share the ring together,” said Crawford.
“I think the time right now is the best time. It’s for all the marbles. Errol Spence has got three of the titles. I’ve got one. It would be for the undisputed. There wouldn’t be no other champion in the division. I feel like this is the biggest moment for us two to fight.”
An earlier report from ESPN said the fight was going to happen in October, but retired fighter and current promoter Floyd Mayweather said nothing is official until he announces it.