Fedor Emelianenko Explains Why He Chose Timothy Johnson
After being retired again for more than two years, Fedor Emelianenko decided to return to business.
Bellator is set for Saturday night in Moscow, Russia — a card that was built around Emelianenko, even letting him choose his opponent.
Fans were wondering who would face him in his homecoming fight. Fans talked a lot about Alistar Overeem, Junior Dos Santos, and many others. But Emelianenko chose Timothy Johnson, and everyone was surprised by his decision.
“Tim Johnson had quite a winning streak going on,” Emelianenko told MMA Junkie at a virtual news conference. “That obviously shows he’s quite a good fighter. Fighting someone who is spearheading the (division) is always a great opportunity.”
“Aside from Tim Johnson, Dos Santos, for example, had a serious streak of losses alongside,” Emelianenko said. “He was also fighting for the UFC, as well. That is why I don’t think it would’ve been much suitable to fight him compared to Tim Johnson. Not to mention the fact that Bellator came up with a bunch of options and Tim was the obvious choice.”
Bellator 269 will take place on October 23, at VTB Arena in Moscow, Russia.
Emelianenko will headline the event with Johnson. Also, one of the rising stars, Usman Nurmagomedov, will fight on the same card.
Check out the rest of the card down below:
- Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Johnson – 265 lbs
- Vitaly Minakov vs. Said Sowma – 265 lbs
- U. Nurmagomedov vs. Patrik Pietilä – 160 lbs
- Anatoly Tokov vs. S. Davlatmurodov – 185 lbs
- Kirill Sidelnikov vs. Rab Truesdale – 265 lbs
- Vladimir Tokov vs. Aymard Guih – 155 lbs
- Darina Mazdyuk vs. Katarzyna Sadura – 125 lbs
- Irina Alekseeva vs. Stéphanie Page – 125 lbs
- Brian Moore vs. Nikita Mikhailov – 135 lbs
- Grachik Bozinyan vs. Alexey Shurkevich – 170 lbs
- Aiden Lee vs. Aleksandr Osetrov – 145 lbs
- Gadzhi Rabadanov vs. Alexander Belikh – 145 lbs