Fighting Words: What Did Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Say About Sergio Martinez?
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. isn’t likely to send a Christmas card to Sergio Martinez later this year.
Chavez and Martinez haven’t been chummy over the years. Back on September 15, 2012, Chavez challenged Martinez for the WBC Middleweight Championship. While Chavez attempted to rally late in the fight, it was too little too late. Martinez nabbed the unanimous decision victory.
“Martinez is old now,” Chavez said. “He won well, but his opponent [Fandino] was a lump. He couldn’t move side to side, his legs didn’t respond to him to do those movements. I think he’s no longer there to box with anyone. He needs to box with me, so I can let him retire with some money. I am going to beat him because I’m going to prepare very well for that fight, apart from the fact that he is already old. What he says or speaks about does not interest me. That is what he wants, to attract attention.”
Martinez had been away from the sport of boxing ever since his TKO loss to Miguel Cotto back on June 7, 2014. “Maravilla” made a triumphant return to the ring against Jose Miguel Fandino in Spain. Martinez scored the seventh-round TKO victory.
Chavez is expected to be back in action on September 25. He will be facing Mario Abel Cazares in Tijuana, Mexico. On that same card, Chavez’s father will face Jorge Arce in an exhibition affair.
Chavez is hoping to rebound from his December 20, 2019 loss to Daniel Jacobs. Chavez did not make it out for the sixth round. This was the fifth loss in Chavez’s pro boxing career. He’ll be in search of his first win since August 10, 2019.