Francis Ngannou Wants To Get Back Into Action By This Month
Francis Ngannou might make his return to the UFC after all.
Ngannou (17-3) underwent surgery not too long after successfully unifying the UFC heavyweight titles against interim champion Ciryl Gane at UFC 270 in January. He revealed after the victory that he sustained a knee injury prior to the bout and required surgery to repair a torn MCL and damaged ACL.
“If everything goes well, I will be ready by the end of the year because it is going to be nine months,” Ngannou told TMZ.
“(I want to be back in) late December or early next year.”
It was previously unclear if Ngannou would fight again in the UFC due to the injury as well as his issues with his current contract.
Ngannou’s team said earlier this year that they would spend the months the Cameroonian fighter uses to recuperate to re-negotiate his contract.
Because he won in January, his deal with Dana White’s promotion was extended.
As part of his new contract, he wants the option to box to be included, which White seems weary about. Meanwhile, Ngannou has called out boxing heavyweight champion Tyson Fury for a crossover bout and he and his promoters are all for it.
Ngannou even appeared in the ring beside Fury after the latter’s defeat of mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte on April 23.
But back in the UFC, Ngannou could be tangled up with former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones or former heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic.
But it’s unclear exactly who will be next.
“For now, let’s fight for the situation and get everything squared up (with my contract),” Ngannou said. “Then when I get close to the return we will see where the landscape is at.”