Frank Warren Says Tyson Fury Vs. Anthony Joshua Contract Is On The Way
A matchup between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua is apparently making more progress.
Fury had offered a 60-40% split of revenue and December 3 fight date to which Joshua accepted over social media last week. Fury’s co-promoter, Frank Warren, now said that a contract is on the way.
258 management tweeted early Tuesday morning:
“258 and Matchroom Boxing can confirm, on behalf of Anthony Joshua, that we accepted all terms presented to us by Fury’s team for a fight Dec 3rd last Friday. Due to the Queen’s passing, it was agreed to halt all communication. We are awaiting a response.”
Warren tweeted back: “Contract will be with you very soon.”
258 and @MatchroomBoxing can confirm, on behalf of @anthonyjoshua, that we accepted all terms presented to us by Fury’s team for a fight Dec 3rd last Friday.
Due to the Queen’s passing, it was agreed to halt all communication.
We are awaiting a response.
— 258MGT (@258mgt) September 13, 2022
The location, television and streaming rights have yet to be announced, but the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales is reportedly a leading contender for the site of the bout.
Fury had called out unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk – who said he wants nothing but a fight with the WBC king – but the Ukrainian boxer indicated that he won’t be in action again this year because he’s dealing with injuries, according to boxing journalist Dan Rafael.
Fury is coming off of dominant wins against mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte in April and a historic trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder in October 2021.
He said he was retiring, but after being forced to make a final decision by the WBC, he is back in the game.
Joshua, meanwhile, suffered his second consecutive loss to Usyk on August 20.