The news follows after Fury’s hard-fought victory over Francis Ngannou where the latter pushed the Gypsy King until the final bell. That was most noticeably seen when the former UFC heavyweight champion landed a left hook to send Fury crashing to the floor in the third round.
In the aftermath of the fight, Fury refused to confirm whether the bout with Usyk would go ahead on December 23rd, 2023, despite having previously said it would. At the same time, Frank Warren ruled out a fight until next year. And yet, Usyk was adamant that the fight would go ahead in December since both fighters had signed a contract. However, according to ESPN, that is no longer the case after the Gypsy King suffered two cuts above the eye.
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk will fight for the undisputed heavyweight championship in February in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, sources told ESPN.
Fury-Usyk was planned for Dec. 23 before Fury struggled in a far tougher-than-expected win over Francis Ngannou. Fury suffered two cuts. pic.twitter.com/IGkLKpddof
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) October 31, 2023
Despite this being the case, Usyk’s promoter, Alexander Krassyuk, has called on the WBC heavyweight champion to show proof of the injury, given that the news would delay a fight that had been difficult to make.
“We have a date in the contract but c’mon, we are reasonable people. If he is really injured and he is really unable to fight that might happen to any fighter. It has to be done in a proper way. If he is really injured then there is some kind of medical procedure that certifies his injury. Then probably that’s OK,” Krassyuk
Fury is an embarrassment
— Dwayne Pipe (@DwaynePipe14) October 31, 2023
It was never happening in Dec.
— Couge (@couge0102) October 31, 2023
Fury is scared 😂
— Oskar (@Oskar_Krieg) October 31, 2023