GGG-Canelo Still Planned for September
The fight that boxing fans have been growing increasingly frustrated for remains on track to happen in 2017. According to Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is still expected to face middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in September.
Gomez spoke about Canelo’s plans for this year in an interview with ESPN. Canelo broke his right hand during his last fight, a one-sided mauling of light-middleweight champ Liam Smith in September. According to Gomez, Canelo’s recovery is going well and they are looking at setting up his next bout in the coming weeks.
“Canelo is back in training. He’s keeping himself in shape, but he hasn’t started using the right hand yet because he still has some more physical therapy to do,” Gomez said. “He still needs a couple of more sessions and what we agreed to do is reconvene after that.”
Canelo (48-1-1) will move up to the middleweight limit of 160 lbs. in his next fight. He had previously held titles at middleweight, but held his bouts there at a catchweight of 155 lbs.
Gomez and Oscar De La Hoya will discuss Canelo’s next fight when they meet in Las Vegas for Bernard Hopkins’ farewell fight on Dec. 17.
“By then he’ll be done with those [physical therapy] sessions,” Gomez said. “He’s using his left hand, hitting the bag and running. The only thing he’s not doing is sparring. But he’ll have time to spar once we make a decision. He’s feeling good. His hand is a lot better. But we’re not going to take any chances. Any discomfort once he starts using the right hand and we’re not messing around. If he has any discomfort, we’ll just wait until May."
If Canelo is able to train without any discomfort, his next fight will likely be announced before the year’s end and take place in February. It would be an HBO event rather than a pay-per-view, as he had been set for a HBO main event on Dec. 10 that had to be scrapped due to his hand injury.
The boxing world has been clamoring for the fight between Canelo and Gennady Golovkin (36-0), and Golden Boy Promotions has taken the brunt of the blame for the bout not having happened yet. Gomez says that despite Canelo’s injury, they still plan on the fight happening in September.
“Hopefully, everything goes well and then we get the Golovkin fight done for September,” Gomez said. “The plan is still to fight Golovkin.”