Gomez Claims Canelo-GGG Negotiations Will Resume Next Week
With Gennady Golovkin days away from his fight against Vanes Martirosyan, Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez says the road to a Canelo Alvarez rematch is in the works.
Golden Boy Promotions president, Eric Gomez, told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday morning – “I’ve been in communication with Tom Loeffler (the head of GGG Promotions) we’re going to have a meeting right after the May 5th fight.”
“Our intention is to make the fight,” stated Gomez.
“That’s the fight we had made, that’s the fight ‘Canelo’ wants but look, if Golovkin for whatever reason doesn’t want to fight him then we’ll have a back-up plan. We have two or three other guys that we’re looking at, right now. But that’s the fight that ‘Canelo’ wants and that’s the fight I’m going to try and get done.”
It was reported last week that Alvarez that had submitted to a hair test which some believe bolster Alvarez’ claims of accidental ingesting of the performance enhancing drug Clenbuterol. While this would be helpful in the court of public opinion, it does nothing to end or mitigate the six month suspension the NSAC handed down in April.
“This is just bad luck with the jurisdiction of the fight,” Gomez said on Tuesday. “Every state has different laws, rules and regulations. But if this fight as taking place in another state this fight would’ve gone through.
“So you’ve got to respect Nevada and we respect them, of course we do and it is what it is but I’m glad it’s behind us now and we can concentrate on getting the fight done for September and that’s our goal.”