Devin Haney has not ruled out a return to 135 provided that it makes sense both financially and for his legacy.
The ‘Dream’ is currently campaigning at 140, as the talk over a fight with Regis Prograis rumbles on. Despite the latter signing his side of the agreement, Haney has yet to do so, as doubts emerge over whether he will fight Prograis for his WBC belt. However, at the same time, the door is open for Haney to return to 135. The WBC stripped his belt at lightweight, but made him a champion in recess. Therefore, Haney has the chance to drop back down to 135 and face the person who holds that belt which will be determined when Shakur Stevenson faces Frank Martin.
Although that may be the case, the huge fight at 135 pounds appears to be Gervonta Davis. Tank, however, is known for imposing rehydration clauses against much bigger fighters. His bout with Ryan Garcia had shown that, but this is something that Haney has spoken about not wanting. And yet, if a fight can be arranged at 135 that satisfies him, he would have no hesitation in fighting at the weight class.
— Boxing News 24 (@boxingnews24) August 30, 2023
“I might go back to 135. “There are still big fights at 135. So we got to see for the right fight and the right situation and right money, of course, and I’ll go back down.
“They [WBC] made me ‘Champion in Recess,’ but they also gave me the chance to go up and fight for another belt. I got to respect their decision. You never know. I might fight for the WBC at 135 again, and two-time undisputed. You never know,” Haney said
However, if Haney does not go back to 135, then a bout at 140 will be inevitable. The failure to sign an agreement with Prograis, though, could be due to Ryan Garcia’s next move.
Oscar De La Hoya hinted at the boxer’s plans. The two, though, have been at loggerheads ever since they engaged in legal action. Garcia claimed that his contract had been breached, while De La Hoya responded with a lawsuit to make the boxer fulfil his contract. In response, Garcia had filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit on the grounds that mediation was needed first. And yet, De La Hoya appears unfazed as he plans Garcia’s next move.
“Ryan Garcia, we have a date for him in November. We’ve been presenting different opponents to him, you know, they’ve been turning them down. But we’ll hopefully nail something down very soon, but his date is November and we’re looking to make a huge fight with him on that date and take it from there. I know it’s complicated because you have Rolly who’s on medical leave, so the world title maybe becomes vacant. There’s a lot of moving parts, but the truth of the matter is Ryan Garcia is coming back in November,” De La Hoya
Garcia’s last bout ended in a seventh-round-stoppage loss to Gervonta Davis at 135 pounds. Thereafter, ‘King Ryan’ moved up to 140 and appointed a new trainer in the form of Derrick James. A new opponent has yet to be revealed, but with Garcia’s commercial pulling power, there would be plenty of fighters ready to take the fight.
And one of those could be Devin Haney. His failure to sign the fight with Prograis would only make sense if a big fight was on the cards. And if Garcia is expected to fight in November, that would give Haney plenty of time to get ready.
Social Media Reaction
Ay btw Devin Haney Vs Ryan Garcia definitely happening if Regis walk away.
— Blue Lobster (@OpinionatedGlob) August 29, 2023
Ryan aint fighting Devin coming off a loss and with This being his first fight with Dj.
— UNDISPUTED 🆚 UNDISPUTED (@TheKidIrv24) August 29, 2023
No he doesn’t lol Ryan said himself out of the top 135 lbers Haney is the hardest fight for him because of the style. Ryan got completely outclassed by tank he’s not gonna fight Haney any time soon.
— GokuBlack (@k1ng0fthep1rate) August 30, 2023