Haye Speaks After Shocking Loss to Bellew
Although he was quick to play it down after the fight’s conclusion, it was pretty clear for all those watching on Saturday night that all was not well with David Haye.
The Londoner could hardly stand after sustaining an injury in the sixth round of his fight with Tony Bellew and, despite bravely trying to continue, had his hopes of victory ended in round 11 when his corner threw in the towel.
It’s emerged since the fight that Haye ruptured his achilles and underwent surgery on it on Sunday evening.
Now, not even 48 hours on from he fight, Haye has thanked well-wishers for their support since the fight, explaining that he had returned home after achilles reattachment surgery.
Home from Achilles reattachment surgery. I’m overwhelmed with your Positivity, Love & Support.From the bottom of my heart,Thank you all.???? pic.twitter.com/EogiWi1gR5
— David Haye (@mrdavidhaye) March 6, 2017
Earlier on Monday, Carl Froch dismissed suggestions that the injury would put an end to Haye’s boxing career, indicating that the 36-year-old was already firmly fixed on a return to the ring.
"I don’t think it’s the end of him. I spoke to David Haye earlier and he’s out of the operation, he’s out of theatre," Froch told Sky Sports.
"The Achilles heel is fixed and he’s adamant he will be coming back and he wants to fight again. First and foremost for David Haye, he wants the rematch with Bellew.
"It’s quite a debilitating injury as we know, but you can make a full recovery. Whilst your injured, you’re in bits, you can’t even walk, your leg is in plaster. But I think from operation to actually competing, it can be as short as six or seven months.
"David Haye at 36, this isn’t the end of his career, I think he’s going to come again. He’s told me he wants to come again – 100 per cent. He said to me and I quote, ‘I will win a heavyweight world title’, but I want the rematch with Bellew first."