Hearn Assures No Issues In Saudi
Claiming someone will be the safest person in Saudi Arabia is a lofty assurance, due to the royal family’s level of security but Eddie Hearn has made that clear to Andy Ruiz will be in December.
Late last week, Ruiz Jr agreed to defend his unified world heavyweight titles against former champion Anthony Joshua on December 7th in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, following a very public unwillingness to fight outside of the United States or Mexico.
“Andy Ruiz will be the safest person on the planet,” Hearn said Thursday, in-regards to safety concerns raised by the champion’s camp. “We’ve been out there. We’ve got everything completely under control. The government, Skill Challenge [Entertainment], they wanna make this [safe]. The whole world will be watching this event.”
“Everything that has been requested by Team Ruiz has been delivered,” Hearn said. “So, we know the security measures. It’s not, you know, [what] Bob Arum talks about with this country [Saudi Arabia]. It’s just the procedure to make sure that everybody is ultra-comfortable. Team Ruiz came back with their own questions and said, ‘We would like this in place.’ We said, ‘We will deliver that. Absolutely. Whether that’s to have an addition to your own people.’
“You’ve gotta understand, this is a government, royal family affair, where everything will be absolute perfection – perfection. And they will make sure – and we’ve seen in the buildup, we’ve seen with the agreements, we have everything in place to make sure this event is absolutely as safe as possible.”
Report: Boxing Scene