Hiroto Kyoguchi Vs. Esteban Bermudez Head To January 28 Purse Bid

Another week has passed with no agreement for the anticipated championship bout between Hiroto Kyoguchi and Esteban Bermudez.

The World Boxing Association (WBA) has called for a purse bid hearing on January 28 to finalize the junior flyweight contest, which has been in the works for more than seven months.

“The World Boxing Association (WBA) has summoned the Purse bid between the Light Flyweight super champion, Hiroto Kyoguchi and the regular champion of the category, Esteban Bermudez,” the sanctioning body announced Wednesday.

“The bidding will take place on Friday, January 28 at 3:00 p.m., U.S. Eastern Time, and it will be through the zoom platform.”

As the WBA “Super” junior flyweight champion, Kyoguchi will earn 75% of the winning offer, while Bermudez receives the rest 25% as the “World” titleholder.

The verdict came nearly one week after the WBA’s final deadline, which asked for completed contracts to be received no later than January 7.

Attempts to obtain a definite update from Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn (Kyoguchi) and Greg Cohen Promotions founder/owner Greg Cohen (Bermudez) were futile, resulting in the bout being made open to all WBA-registered promoters.

The fight was originally slated for June 10. This was two weeks after Bermudez (14-3-2, 10KOs) dethroned previously unbeaten—but inactive—WBA “World” junior flyweight titlist Carlos Canizales in a upset on May 29 in Mexico City.

The negotiations never got off the ground.

After defeating Hekkie Budler in the tenth round on New Year’s Eve 2018, Japanese fighter, Kyoguchi (15-0, 10KOs) has held the WBA championship.

Kyoguchi made his U.S. debut on March 13 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, defeating Axel Aragon Vega in the fifth round.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More