Hunt vs. Overeem Targeted for UFC 209
A heavyweight rematch is in the cards for UFC 209, which takes place in March in Las Vegas. Mark Hunt will look to avenge a 2008 loss to Alistair Overeem — but there remains a hump for Hunt to get over before the fight can become official.
ESPN’s Brett Okamoto reported that Hunt and Overeem has verbally agreed to fight on the March 4 pay-per-view event.
Overeem last fought at UFC 203 in Cleveland, where he lost to heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic by first-round knockout.
Hunt last fought at UFC 200 against returning superstar Brock Lesnar, and was defeated by unanimous decision. Then came the controversy: Lesnar failed two out-of-competition drug tests prior to UFC 200, but the results did not come back until after the event. Therefore, Lesnar had been allowed to compete against Hunt (unlike headliner Jon Jones, whose positive test came back two days before UFC 200, resulting in him being pulled from the event).
Hunt flew off the handle, blasting the UFC for having given Lesnar a four-month exemption from the USADA testing pool prior to UFC 200.
Lesnar tested positive for clomiphene in two separate drug tests, and was recently handed a one-year suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Hunt threatened to sue the UFC and then said that he wouldn’t fight again unless a clause was included in his contract in case of an opponent testing positive for banned substances.
Though his bout with Overeem has been announced, Hunt told his website MarkHunt.tv that he still wants his request met before he agrees to return to the cage.
“I will not fight without this clause,” Hunt said. “I’ve already fought three dopers in a row and I’m not going to fight again without security. All I want is a fair go and an even playing field.”