IBF Reverses Oleksandr Usyk, Filip Hrgovic Order, Opens Door For Tyson Fury
Usyk and Fury are targeted to happen in March.
Oleksandr Usyk’s path to Tyson Fury has been cleared.
The IBF reportedly rescinded the Usyk-Filip Hrgovic mandatory order, which was issued back in November. Boxing journalist Dan Rafael tweeted a copy of the announcement.
Breaking: IBF rescinds Usyk-Hrgovic mandatory order. Hrgovic team was fighting hard for purse bid to be scheduled, which was the point of no return. Now won’t be sked, a big hurdle to clearing way for undisputed fight vs. Fury. Dubois rights protected but he won’t be next. pic.twitter.com/BqMvryg1q4
— Dan Rafael (@DanRafael1) January 9, 2023
Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn previously said that Hrgovic is the rightful IBF mandatory. He added that they requested an immediate purse bid, but it looks like that won’t be happening.
Since it’s fallen through, it once again opens the door for an undisputed heavyweight title match between three-belt champion Usyk and WBC titleholder Fury, which is reportedly targeted for March.
Over the weekend, Frank Warren, Fury’s co-promoter, told talkSPORT that they sent a draft contract.
“That’s where we’re at. Listen, it’s gotta be sorted out very, very quickly now because the time is against us,” Warren said.
Usyk last fought in August where he recorded a back-to-back win against former champion Anthony Joshua. He successfully retained his WBA, WBO and IBF titles.
Fury last fought in December and defeated old foe Derek Chisora.
It was previously reported that both Usyk and Fury have agreed to not fight anyone else until they meet one another in the ring.