Igor Severino Breaks Silence Following UFC Vegas 89 Biting – “I Was On Autopilot, I Don’t Remember Anything”

Igor Severino has been all over the headlines following his UFC debut last Saturday, just not in the light that he had always dreamed of.

The flyweight competitor, who has now been released by the organization, was disqualified from his bout with Andre Lima after biting his opponent during the second round.

In his first interview since the incident, Severino discussed the fallout from this incident. Additionally, he explained this is not who he is and that he was compromised from a blow earlier in the fight, resulting in him not even remembering the blatant foul occurring.

“It’s been crazy – some crazy days. One day, I was fighting in the best promotion in the world. I was making my dream come true. The next moments, I’m banned from the promotion.”

“I come from humble beginnings,” Severino said. “I’ve been working since a very young age. I left my home as a teenager to come over to train and to get here. Then, to see all of this go away and in the way it did, it’s something that is not part of me. It’s not who I am as a person. That’s not who I am as a fighter. I just feel very regretful. It makes me very emotional and sad about it.

“My dream became a nightmare overnight. I’m very regretful to my opponent. I apologize to (Lima), to Dana (White), to the Nevada Athletic Commission, to Sean Shelby, who spoke to me after the fight, to Mick (Maynard) – everyone in the organization – and the fans. Sorry to everyone who was watching that on TV. They didn’t deserve to see that.”

“I remember everything that was happening until I got hit with something really hard,” Severino said. “I watched the video later and I thought it was an elbow. From there, I was on autopilot. I don’t remember anything.”

(h/t MMAJunkie.com)

Unfortunately for Severino, being disqualified and cut from the UFC are not the only punishments he has had to face as a result of this incident. The up-and-coming fighter also reportedly has had his fight purse withheld by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and even worse, his family members have been receiving death threats.

“I did something wrong,” Severino said. “It’s right that I be punished. I got cut. I think that’s one of the worst things that could’ve happened. The commission withheld my purse, so I’m not even sure if I’ll get paid anything. I’m not sure what they’re even going to decide because this money isn’t even for me. It’s for my whole family that depends on me. Fighting is how I make ends meet, how I’m able to pay my rent. That’s how I’m able to pay for medicine. It’s how I’m able to take care of my sick family members, how I can support them to buy food, as well. That’s all that I know how to do. It’s all that I have to make a means to live.”

“They have been going after my loved ones,” Severino said, choking up. “They’re disrespecting them. There have been death threats. My mother doesn’t have anything to do with it. My family doesn’t have anything to do with it. People are acting like I killed somebody, like I’m a criminal. What I did was wrong but it was far from a crime. They’re treating me like I’m the worst person in the world.”

(h/t MMAJunkie.com)

Without an appeal process as a current viable option, Severino is not sure where to go from here. But, at the end of the day, the punishment for this type of foul needs to be harsh to protect the fighters. MMA is a dangerous enough sport as it is.

“I had my mother call me nervous, crying about people threatening her and saying all kinds of stuff to her and about her. I had to try to calm her down and tell her everything is going to be OK, but how is everything going to be OK? I don’t know if everything is going to be OK. I don’t even know if I have a career after this.”

(h/t MMAJunkie.com)

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More