Isaac Cruz Won’t Show Up for Shakur Stevenson Fight, Bob Arum Says
The WBC ordered Shakur Stevenson-Isaac Cruz at last week's convention.
The WBC’s annual convention concluded this past Wednesday where numerous fights were ordered, one of them being Isaac Cruz clashing with Shakur Stevenson to determine the next No.1 contender at 135.
But it appears as if the fight will never happen, according to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum.
Arum, who promotes the No.4 lightweight in the world, Stevenson says he is already looking for a new opponent for the wonder kid as he thinks that Cruz won’t accept the fight with Stevenson.
The WBC ordered No. 2 ranked lightweight contender Pitbull Cruz (24-2-1, 17 KOs) and Stevenson to fight next, with the winner to take on the targeted Devin Haney vs. Vasyl Lomachenko victor for the undisputed 135-kb championship.
“I don’t think so. I don’t think Cruz is really anxious to fight him because I don’t think anybody is really anxious to fight Shakur. So, I don’t think that fight will happen,” said Arum to Fighthype.
“I think we’ll go in a different direction for Shakur. Because there are four sanctioning bodies,” said Arum when asked what happens when a sanctioning body orders a fight, but the promoters don’t want to make the contest.