‘It’s Been A Blast’: Dana White Reacts To Nate Diaz Leaving UFC
UFC President Dana White had nothing ill to say of Nate Diaz after his last fight on Saturday.
After 15 years, Diaz closed out his career by submitting late-replacement Tony Ferguson in the fourth round of UFC 279.
“He’s been here forever,” White said at the post-fight press conference.
“It’s been a blast having him here. I wish him well.
“Me and him had this discussion months ago at the offices. Whatever he moves on to do, I wish him nothing but the best. He’s starting his own organization or getting into promoting or doing something else, I wish him nothing but the best of luck. It’s been awesome having him here.”
Prior to his return after over a year, Diaz announced that he was forming his own promotion – Real Fight, Inc – where he plans to promote boxing, MMA and grappling competitions.
The veteran fighter has also expressed interest in stepping into the boxing ring himself. He and Jake Paul previously called each other out on social media for a boxing match, but for that to happen, Diaz needed to be out of his UFC contract.
And now, after 27 fights under the promotion, he has parted ways.
His career in the UFC started in 2007 when he defeated Manvel Gamburyan in the Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale.
He has gone on to fight some of the promotion’s top talents including Rory MacDonald, Donald Cerrone and Jorge Masvidal – to name a few.
But his name instantly drew fame when he upset Conor McGregor by submission in 2016. They went on to have a rematch, which McGregor won.
Then on Saturday, Diaz chipped away at Ferguson, who stepped in after Khamzat Chimaev – his original opponent – missed weight and was rescheduled to fight Kevin Holland. In the fourth round, Diaz constricted fellow veteran Ferguson.
“No matter what Nate does from here on out, this is his house,” White said.