Jaron Ennis Plans To ‘Steal’ Show From Gervonta Davis And Take Belts From Spence And Crawford
Ennis returns to the ring in January.
Jaron “Boots” Ennis is looking to steal the spotlight.
Ennis kicks off the new year by taking on Karen Chukhadzhian for the interim IBF world welterweight title in the co-main event of Gervonta Davis vs. Hector Luis Garcia on Saturday, January 7. But Ennis said that he wants to make it more than just a co-feature.
“Fighting on a big pay-per-view card like this, I can’t wait to shine. I’m ready to get in there,” said Ennis to BSOTV with Robert Littal.
“If they can’t fight each other, I’m always available,” said Ennis about Errol Spence Jr and Terence Crawford.
“Those are the main two guys that I want. They’re two great fighters, but I want to show the world that I’m on a different level.
“Give me those two guys or whoever. I’m ready. I want to take the belts from them. That’s what they say. They call me the boogeyman. If we get them, we get them. If not, I’ll see one of them at 154,” he added.
“I feel, I’ll run into them.”
Ennis was reluctant to accept the bout against Chukhadzhian; he originally wanted to take on Eimantas Stanionis, and was reportedly in talks to set it up, but explained that he doesn’t know what happened.
“I don’t know what happened but I gotta get what I can take right now. It is what it is. I really wanted that Stanionis fight,” Ennis previously said.
Either way, a win on January 7 could put Ennis exactly where he wants to be – across the ring from unified welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr.
In the past, Spence showed Ennis respect, but didn’t show much interest in taking on the rising contender.
Spence, who is currently recuperating from minor injuries from a recent car accident, said that he will not return until the spring of 2023 and is still working on an undisputed fight against WBO champ Terence Crawford.