Jermall Charlo Hints At Possible David Benavidez Fight
Jermall Charlo is all in for a future showdown with the former two-time WBC super-middleweight champion David Benavidez if he gets past Maciej Sulecki this June 18.
The fans have been calling for a duel between the two of the very best in the division for a long time.
“I want that fight too. If they make it happen, we’re going to get it on,” said Charlo to Fight Hub TV.
“I’m not worried about this dude. Y’all worried about him.”
Last month, Charlo and Benavidez had a brief confrontation as both the fighters were in attendance at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas witnessing the welterweight unification bout between Errol Spence Jr. and Yordenis Ugas.
The two went back and forth at each other, hurling verbal volleys before being finally separated by the security personnel.
“He’s about to turn this s– into something,” said Charlo.
“He grabbed my arm, and I checked his a–; it’s as simple as that.”
“He tried to look all hard. Man, nobody is scared of no Benavidez. I’m in Cali right now. Nobody is behind me right now. Where is he at?
“… He’s trying to build his hype up. He wants that fight.”
Charlo (32-0, 22 KOs) has been accused of ducking fights with the likes of Benavidez (25-0, 22 KOs), taking too many lower-level tune-up fights to keep his zero safe.
However, Charlo did express his desire to fight Canelo Alvarez to which, Promoter Eddie Hearn replied that he should beat Benavidez to earn the right to share the ring with the former pound-for-pound kingpin.