Jermall Charlo has been released from jail.
Charlo was held in Fort Bend County jail from Friday, February 11 until Monday when he was released following a modification of bail bond conditions. On Friday, he was arrested and charged with one count of third-degree felony assault.
According to the arrest affidavit, it claims Charlo “did then and there intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly cause bodily injury to (the alleged victim) by punching or grabbing him by his hair. It is further presented in and to said court that at the time of the offense alleged above, (the alleged victim) was a member of the defendant’s family or household,” according to a copy of police records obtained by Boxing Scene.
On Friday, he was booked and charged with assault causing bodily injury of a family member. Charlo was previously convicted for family violence in 2015, which carries a sentence of 2-10 years in prison if found guilty.
Charlo is being charged as a repeat offender due to the prior conviction.
The alleged incident took place in September 5, 2021, during the pandemic, which makes Charlo subject to bump his charges to second-degree charges, doubling the maximum sentence to up to 20 years in prison if found guilty, according to the arrest affidavit.
There is a possibility of probation under either charge.
“It’s an open police investigation,” Tim Smith, PBC Vice President of Communications, told Boxing Scene. “We don’t comment on legal matters.”
Charlo was recently exonerated of robbery charges, stemming from a July incident where he was accused of stealing from a waitress. The charges were dropped due to “insufficient evidence.”
Charlo, the WBC middleweight champion, last fought in June, which ended in a unanimous decision win over Juan Macas Montiel. He was recently mentioned as a potential opponent for Canelo Alvarez on May 7, but it’s unclear if it’ll happen.
The boxer is due for his first court appearance on March 28.