Jon Jones Will Be Ready For Summer Heavyweight Debut
Jon Jones has yet to be offered a fight.
But Jones said that hasn’t gotten in the way of preparing for when he does get that call. On Twitter, the former two-time UFC light heavyweight champion confirmed he still has plans to return to the promotion.
“My plan is to be in peak condition come June/ July,” Jones replied when asked if he was offered a fight yet.
Nope, but my plan is to be in peak condition come June/ July https://t.co/wHAc1nUvwl
— BONY (@JonnyBones) April 2, 2022
Some have speculated that with current heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou sidelined for at least nine months, Jones could be called for an interim heavyweight title match.
UFC President Dana White said two weeks earlier that if it’s going to take nine months for Ngannou to be cleared for training again, that the promotion would do an interim title. He has also said he plans on getting Jones a debut heavyweight fight for this year.
Last week, Jones confirmed that his time at light heavyweight is over.
“I’ve been imagining it for over two years now, I genuinely believe winning this Heavyweight championship is in my destiny,” he previously tweeted.
Jones has not fought since a controversial unanimous decision win over Dominick Reyes on February 8, 2020.
The 34-year-old became the most dominant in the light heavyweight division, holding UFC records including most title defenses, most wins and longest win streak, to name a few.
Outside the octagon, Jones has been in headlines for legal issues and parting ways with his longtime gym.