Taylor lost his WBO title at junior welterweight via a unanimous decision, which handed him the first loss of his career.
However, before the Lopez fight, Taylor had a far-from-convincing performance against Jack Catterall.
Despite being given a split-decision win, most of the boxing community felt that Taylor had come out second best.
And those two back-to-back performances have now suggested to Taylor that a move up to 147 could make sense.
“I’m heading back down to Liverpool to sit down with the team and see what we’re going to do and see what options there are opponents-wise. I think moving up is probably the wisest option,” Taylor said
— BoxingScene.com (@boxingscene) August 21, 2023
That move would have the following consequences. A rematch with Catterall, which had been in the making before the Lopez fight, would have to wait.
Taylor had promised to run things back, but an injury made the Scot pull out, who then chose to face Lopez instead.
However, a move up to 147 may allow Taylor to fight for Terence Crawford’s titles. After all, Bud is expected to move up to 154, which would cause the belts to become vacant.
Regardless of what happens, Taylor has a plan of action in place.
“I still want to become a two-weight world champion…I can fight Jack Catterall later on at a weight that suits me. Nothing has changed on that front, that fight will happen. I’ve said to Top Rank about getting a rematch with Lopez too in the future,” Taylor