Justin Gaethje Extends UFC Contract Ahead Of November 6 Fight

Justin Gaethje isn’t done with the UFC just yet.

Gaethje, a former lightweight title challenger, talked with ESPN and announced that he is staying in the promotion. He also said he felt very disappointed for not calling him in the title fight, but it has not changed his and UFC President Dana White’s relationship.

Gaethje (22-3) is going to share the octagon with another former title challenger, Michael Chandler (22-6). The two will battle it out on November 6 at UFC 268. Chandler previously said he was signed for the event.

The last time Gaethje fought was against the MMA legend Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Gaethje was landing some heavy low kicks, but in the second round, Nurmagomedov caught one of them, took him down, and finished him via triangle choke. Since then, neither of the fighters have seen the octagon.

Nurmagomedov announced his retirement, and Gaethje was waiting for his shot.

“I was pissed off at the time,” Gaethje said. “I thought this was the most coveted title in the UFC when Khabib was around, and it turned into almost the laughingstock of the UFC overnight. When you have Charles Oliveira and Michael Chandler fighting each other for the title, to be the best — those two weren’t best. It was me and [Dustin] Poirier. That should have happened.”

If Gaethje defeats one of the former title challengers, he believes that he will guarantee himself a title shot.

Charles Oliveira is more likely to defend his title against No. 1 ranked contender Dustin Poirier. But, if Poirier decides to fight with Nate Diaz – they’ve been exchanging words over social media — Oliveira will have to protect his title against someone else.

Gaethje also talked about his potential fight with McGregor – he said there is zero chance of making it happen.

He said McGregor was offered to fight him, but he fought against Donald Cerrone. After suffering from a broken tibia injury, Gaethje does not think McGregor will ever be back at the top, and he does not believe that their ways will cross in the future.

“Zero percent,” he said. “I don’t think he’ll fight, if only once or twice [more] — and it won’t be against guys like me. It’ll be guys like Nate Diaz or Jorge Masvidal. Favorable matchups,” he said.

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

Sign Up For News

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.