Justin Gaethje To Undergo Nose Surgery Before Another Run For Lightweight Title
Justin Gaethje isn’t done chasing the UFC lightweight title — despite two failed attempts.
Previously, Gaethje, 33, has had chances to get his hands on the UFC lightweight strap on two occasions but failed to capitalize on the opportunity, once losing out to UFC Hall of Famer, Khabib Nurmagomedov and more recently, Charles Oliveira at UFC 274 in April.
Now the former interim lightweight titlist vows to fight his way back to the top. But before that, “The Highlight” will likely be out of action for several more months as he prepares for upcoming nose surgery.
“Take a good month to recover, and get back to work,” Gaethje said.
“I think end of the year, most likely early next year (I’ll be back). There’s a few fights that are going to happen, so I’ll let those happen. I want to clear a two or three-fight path back to the title fight. I want to earn it, like I should, but I have a great manager so I’m not worried about it too much. I’ll be ready to fight.”
Gaethje attended the UFC Hall of Fame red carpet last Thursday where his former foe, Khabib Nurmagomedov was inducted.
Gaethje was very close to securing his maiden title in the world’s premier MMA organization this past May.
He had Oliveira on his toes during their battle at UFC 274 but one bad decision cost him the fight as he was submitted by the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu expert in the very first round.
“I’ve been waiting for 13 years for someone in MMA to break my nose and it hasn’t happened. I broke it in wrestling practice 13 years ago, and life’s been hell since then. I have to wear a nose drip tonight, every night to bed every single night. Eating, sleeping, living, training, fighting. I’m not sure. I don’t even know what my f–cking voice sounds like. I’ve been waiting a long time to get this broken. No one has done it, so I’m going to do it myself and give it one last run toward the title,” Gaethje told reporters.