Keith Thurman Projected To Be Errol Spence Jr’s Next Mandatory
Errol Spence Jr will get his next fight soon.
But – despite many fans’ hopes — it won’t be against Terence Crawford just yet. According to WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman, Keith Thurman will be the next mandatory for Spence and his IBF, WBA and WBC welterweight titles.
“No, the WBC’s mandatory is next. Thurman is the #1 contender, but everything will be seen at the [WBC] convention,” said Sulaiman to Fighthype.
Earlier this week, it was revealed that the teams of secondary WBA welterweight champion Eimantans Stanionis and IBF top contender Jaron “Boots” Ennis had petitioned with their respective sanctioning bodies to enforce their due title shots.
Expectations on Spence’s next opponent became more debatable after WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford announced he was facing ranked welterweight David Avanesyan in December 10. The news shattered months-long negotiations for a megafight between Spence and Crawford, but Crawford said that he will continue to be in talks with Spence for a deal.
The two had reportedly agreed to terms for the fight, but Crawford wants full transparency on event expenses since there is no guaranteed purse.
This delayed the bout, which now looks like it’s headed for February or March of 2023.
Thurman has been in the background, and previously said that he was ready to come in as a replacement matchup for either Spence or Crawford.