Loeffler: “Structure In Place” For Canelo-GGG Deal
While there is no contract to be signed, nor press conference announced, Gennady Golovkin’s promoter claims that there is a “structure in place” for a rematch with Canelo Alvarez.
Golovkin’s promoter, Tom Loeffler claimed in a new interview with Boxing scene that Alvarez and GGG are nearing a deal for a return to the site of their first fight, the T-Mobile Arena, on September 15th on pay per view.
“I’ve been in regular contact with Eric (Gomez),” Loeffler said on Tuesday.
“Both promoters, we’re ready to go to start promoting this fight. We’re just waiting on the fighters’ side, just to finalize any of the outstanding details there would be. … There is, for sure, a structure in place for it to take place – basically for it to be rescheduled from the May fight to the September date.”
This has been made a priority by Loeffler and Gomez since Golovkin defeated Vanes Martirosyan, on the original date of the Canelo-GGG rematch, May 5th.
Loeffler feels the process for this attempt will be a lot smoother than it was earlier this year.
“It wouldn’t be a long, drawn-out negotiation like it was before [for May 5],” Loeffler said.
“It’s the biggest fight for both guys and it seems natural that both guys would want the fight. At the same time, you know, that’s why we’re here [at the hearing]. Gennady has certain obligations as a unified champion, and so that’s what we’re trying to do – if we can do the Canelo fight, appease the fans and what’s best for the sport, as far as doing the biggest fight in the sport of boxing. At the same time, we’re trying to abide by the rules of the sanctioning bodies that he has titles of, and those things don’t always connect.”
Original Story: Boxing Scene