Boxing megastar Manny Pacquiao has officially responded to a potential clash with Conor McGregor.
McGregor’s bread and butter may be in the world of MMA but he hasn’t been shy dipping his toes in the boxing waters. Back in August 2017, the “Notorious” one took on Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match that was dubbed the “Money Fight.” Mayweather won the bout via TKO in the 10th round.
When Pacquiao signed on with Paradigm Sports Management, it left many wondering if the door to “PacMan” vs. McGregor was open since the “Notorious” one is also under that management team. McGregor seemed to be of that belief as he claimed an offer was made in the past but the timing wasn’t right.
McGregor had been claiming that he’s fighting Pacquiao in the Middle East. Here’s what he said in a recent Twitter post.
“I was pushing hard for the season. Multiple opponents, multiple dates offered throughout. All to take place back to back. Then when COVID hit and the talk was that I would have to wait for crowds again, I walked away from the situation. I was waiting long enough at that stage. Anyway, all water under the bridge who gives a fook. I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East.”
A statement has been released from Pacquiao’s office and here’s what was said (h/t Michael Benson).
“I do not have an existing management contract with Paradigm Sports Management. I have formed my own company and am more than willing to give the fans an exciting fight with Conor McGregor under terms where I am the co-promoter with my company.”
Pacquiao is the WBA (Super) Welterweight Champion. He last competed back on July 20, 2019, when he defeated Keith Thurman to win the championship. McGregor’s last outing was back in January, where he defeated Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in 40 seconds.