McGregor Announces Retirement From MMA In Tweet

On Tuesday at 1am eastern time, Conor McGregor announced his retirement from Mixed Martial Arts via his Twitter account.

 

Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!

 

McGregor, who was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission until April of this year due to his part in a brawl following his UFC 229 loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov, said that he was negotiating with the UFC for a return this July during International Fight Week. The former featherweight and lightweight champion made it clear that he’d return for a main event fight or anywhere else on the card if he was given an equity stake in the multi-billion dollar organization.

McGregor made no mention of retirement on his appearance on the Tonight Show on Monday night, telling Fallon that “politics” are standing in the way of his return to the Octagon.

We’re in talks for July,” McGregor told Fallon. “So we’ll see what happens. A lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But again, like I said, and to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.”

“In reality, I can pick who I please,” McGregor said of who he can fight next.

 

“I’ve done a lot, I’ve fought a lot. I’ve never pulled out of contests. I’ve gone through some crazy injuries, some crazy external situations that many a man would sprint for the hills if it happened to them. But I stood firm, done my piece for the company. … Like I said, this whiskey is my baby. I have a lot of great entities. I don’t necessarily need to fight. I am set for life, my family is set for life. We are good. But I am eager to fight. So, we will see what happens. I’m just staying ready, as I like to say.”

For McGregor’s retirement to be official and not a potential power play by the former two-division champion, he must pull out of the USADA testing pool in the same way that Georges St-Pierre did earlier this year.

It is yet to be seen what will come next for McGregor, but one fellow Irishman may have tipped the Notorious One’s hand.

 

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

SIGN UP NOW!

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.