Mike Tyson & Roy Jones Jr. Will Fight For A WBC Title
There is a major change to the exhibition bout between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr.
Tyson and Jones are scheduled to collide on November 28. The boxing legends had been penciled in for a showdown on September 12 but the date was pushed back. Tyson’s team cited an effort to maximize profits for the bout with more marketing opportunities. Jones believes that the real reason is that Tyson wouldn’t have been ready with six weeks’ preparation.
ESPN’s Ariel Helwani got word that Tyson and Jones will be competing for the WBC Frontline Battle Title. Here’s how the championship looks.
Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr will be competing for the WBC Frontline Battle Belt, I’m told. Here’s a pic of said belt, created just for them.
They meet on 11/28. pic.twitter.com/CFwYAUMry9
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 26, 2020
It was initially said that Tyson vs. Jones wouldn’t have judges but it turns out that isn’t the case. Per a press release, there will be three champions serving as judges.
“WBC’s remote scoring system will be used to evaluate Tyson and Jones Jr.’s performance. Three champions will serve as the judges. Each round will be scored and announced to the public. California State Athletic Commission will oversee, regulate, and sanction.”
Tyson vs. Jones will be held inside the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. As mentioned in the press release, the bout will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.