MMA Fighter Dramatically Misses Weight By 10 Pounds
One fighter missed weight by 10 pounds.
Ten athletes walked on the scale for five bouts, but one of them dramatically missed weight — Willian Souza. He entered his planned bantamweight fight against Farid Basharat 10 pounds (146 pounds) overweight. Basharat weighed in at 136 pounds.
The last record-breaking weight-miss in the history of the Contender Series belonged to Victor Reyna in 2019 and was seven pounds.
It’s unknown if Souza suffered injury or why he could not cut the weight. The Nevada Athletic Commission decided to call off the match as a consequence.
On Tuesday at the UFC Apex, Dana White’s Contender Series 47 will be broadcast on ESPN+.
Check out the rest of the fights down below:
- Ozzy Diaz (186) vs. Joe Pyfer (185)
- Farid Basharat (136) vs. Willian Souza (146)* (CANCELED)
- Anton Turkalj (205) vs. Acacio dos Santos (201)
- Dennis Buzukja (146) vs. Kaleio Romero (146)
- Alessandro Costa (126) vs. Andres Luna Martinetti (126)