MSG’s Hulu Theater Cancels Lopez-Kambosos October 4 Date, Kambosos’ Team Files Legal Action With IBF
In the continuing Teofimo Lopez-George Kambosos Jr. saga, their fight date is now in the air and Triller might lose out on its lightweight showdown.
Kambosos’s legal team sent a letter to the IBF on Tuesday declaring a purse bid default, saying that Triller – who owns the rights to the fight – has “breached” the contract of the oft-postponed lightweight championship matchup versus Lopez, the WBA, IBF, WBO champion. Kambosos was previously looking for more than $300,000 to sign off on the October 16 move, ESPN reported. Hulu Theater has also listed the title fight as “cancelled” on its calendar.
“Triller has breached the Contract, lied to the IBF about Mr. Kambosos’ agreement to move the Bout, and attempted to coerce Mr. Kambosos into executing an amendment that does not comply with IBF Rule 10.F.1 in that it does not specify a venue,” Kambosos’ lead attorney Greg Smith wrote in the letter, a copy obtained by Boxing Scene.
“In light of the foregoing, Mr. Kambosos has no choice but to ask the IBF to declare that Triller has failed to comply with the contract and with the IBF Rules Governing Championship Contests. Triller should be declared in default under Rule 10.F.2 and should be barred from future purse bids for its egregious behavior,” Smith continued.
If the ruling is in favor of Australia’s Kambosos, Triller be found in default of the purse bid it won in February. The start-up company won with a $6,018,000 bid, outbidding Matchroom Boxing with its $3,506,000 and Lopez’s promoter Top Rank with $2,315,000.
George Kambosos Jr. Still Standing For October 4 Date Vs. Teofimo Lopez Title Fight; Lopez, Triller Wants October 16
Teofimo Lopez Says Triller Has Changed George Kambosos Jr. Fight Date ‘Too Many Times,’ Never Experienced This Before In Career
The latest in the saga comes after Triller Fight Club CEO Ryan Kavanaugh leaked to MMA Hour’s Ariel Helwani the company’s projected move to reschedule from October 4 at the Hulu Theater in New York City to October 16 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Kambosos and Lopez’s respective teams immediately pushed back on the thought. Lopez said this isn’t how Triller should be handling it, but then news broke about a day later that he signed off on the move, which would avoid a potential conflict with Monday Night Football, possibly affecting pay-per-view sales.
Lopez reportedly agreed after his father and head trainer Teofimo Lopez Sr. cut a side deal with Triller to get more money for his son in addition to the due $3,911,700. No such deal was made with Kambosos.
Lopez and Triller have been awaiting Kambosos’ signature.
“This is nothing more than Kambosos attempting to extort Triller,” Kavanaugh told ESPN.
“We have signed and paid an advance to Lopez and put the very same offer forward to Kambosos,” Kavanaugh added. “This is a pure and simple shakedown and speaks a lot to his character. If we give into this, imagine what every future event would hold for Triller when it’s a fighter who actually matters.”
This fight has gone through dates including: May 29, June 19, August 14, September 11, October 17, October 5 and, now October 4. Triller and Madison Square Garden – where the Hulu Theater is located – agreed to cancel the October 4 date last Friday, and MSG officially removed the event from its calendar on Monday.
If the IBF rules that Triller has defaulted, Lopez-Kambosos will be available to the next highest bidder.