Murray: Saunders Faked Injury, Hoped for GGG Fight
Martin Murray was originally booked twice to challenge Billy Joe Saunders for the WBO Middleweight Championship — once on April 14, then again on June 23. Both times, the fight was postponed because Saunders was injured.
But as reported by Boxing Scene, last week, Saunders had accepted an offer to fight Gennady Golovkin on August 25 at The Forum in Inglewood, California — just in case Golovkin couldn’t reach a deal with Canelo Alvarez. Once the September 15 bout rematch with Alvarez was set, the fight with Saunders was off.
There is no word on what Saunders’ fight will next be. Murray, meanwhile, will now face Roberto Garcia on June 23.
Murray, who says he’s lost a lot of money in expenses and having been away from home since preparing for the original April date, says he’s convinced Saunders faked an injury in the hopes of getting a fight with Golovkin.
“It was definitely a fake injury. I went away to Tenerife for both training camps, so I lost time with the family which I will never get back but that’s what happens when you’re trying to do a deal with a d***head,” Murray said. “He didn’t have an injury, he wasn’t in the gym, he was hoping to fight Golovkin instead in August, but I don’t think he’s got the balls to fight Golovkin or Canelo.”
I don’t think Golovkin will be that bothered about fighting Saunders now because he will not be able to unify the four belts.
Original Story: Boxing Scene