Conor McGregor is not the only UFC fighter looking to transition from the cage to the boxing ring: his rival Nate Diaz has reportedly taken the early steps to apply for a boxing license in the state of Nevada.
ESPN’s Bret Okamato reported on Tuesday that Diaz has been in touch with the Nevada State Athletic Commission about acquiring a license to box in the state.
Diaz has reportedly paid the $50,000 fine handed down to him late last year, which stemmed from the pre-fight scuffle he took part in ahead of his UFC 202 rematch with McGregor. His team has been in contact with the commission for several weeks, and Diaz will likely receive a boxing license from Nevada in the near future.
"Nate paid his fine and has requested a boxing license," NSAC executive director Bob Bennett said. "Upon his submission of the required licensing information, we expect to approve his license as of this date.
"We welcome Nate and his older brother, Nick, to fight in Las Vegas, whether it’s with the UFC or a boxing promoter."
After the news broke that McGregor had acquired a boxing license in California, Diaz went public with his own desire to pursue a career in boxing. Following his unanimous decision loss to McGregor at UFC 202, Diaz said that he was not interested in fighting in the UFC for anything less than a rubber match with McGregor.
As is the case with McGregor and his own boxing aspirations, including a hypothetical fight with Floyd Mayweather, there are many hurdles that could keep Diaz from boxing even if he does acquire a license. He remains under contract with the UFC, who will likely be unreceptive to another of their biggest stars trying to step into a different combat sport.