Nevada Athletic Commission Urges UFC Executive To Ensure Slap Fighting Is Safer
Last week, Dana White was granted his promoter's license for Power Slap.
Dana White has been issued a warning from the Nevada Athletic Commission.
After White announced his new venture Power Slap last week, the NSAC Chairman Stephen Cloobeck met with White and UFC executive Hunter Campbell on Wednesday to make sure “no one dies,” BJ Penn reported.
“That is priority 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10,” Campbell said.
“That goes without saying. Honestly, one of the reasons we tested this was to really understand firsthand in person the health and safety aspect of the sport. We have a high level of comfort following that, working extensively with the commission, to make sure that we believe that safely.”
“You will make sure that no one has severe brain injuries going forward?”
“That’s correct,” Campbell answered.
“That’s the other reason working with you and executive director [Jeff] Mullen, chairman. We put the health and safety requirements in place that are above and beyond basically what any other commission in the country would require.”
Some have been critical of Power Slap, citing concerns for safety for its athletes. White, however, said that he promises to make it safer.
“I know when we announced this, there were a lot of concerns about health and safety with some guys. Us getting involved guarantees that it’s going to be much safer…,” White said at the press conference.
Slap fighting gained popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic through viral videos on social media.
Typically, two individuals take the stage and slap each other continuously until one of them loses consciousness.