Oleksandr Usyk Vs. Anthony Joshua II Lands On New Date
Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua will meet for the second time on August 20 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
That’s what ESPN’s Mike Coppinger reported Thursday afternoon, though there has yet to be an official announcement from Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing.
Hearn previously said the anticipated rematch was happening July 23, but last week the promoter said there’s been issues between Joshua and his broadcast deal, causing the delay.
That issue got ironed out after DAZN announced that Joshua was signing a lucrative deal with them, and walking from Sky Sports, who had broadcasted all of his pro fights.
His deal with Sky Sports expired after fighting Usyk in September of 2021 – a bout which he lost by unanimous decision.
Another change on Joshua’s side was in his corner. Joshua replaced longtime head trainer Robert McCracken with Robert Garcia, who has coached his share of world champions.
“I am entering a new phase in my career with a new training environment, new coaches and now a new broadcaster,” Joshua said in a statement on Monday.
“Negotiations at this level take time so I am pleased to have it all wrapped up and now I can fully focus on giving the fans and DAZN what they want, knockouts in the glamour division.”
WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury chimed in earlier this week when he said the only way Joshua gets past Usyk is if he trains Joshua himself.
After the loss in September, Joshua did not seem to hesitate to trigger the contracted rematch.