Female welterweight star Oshae Jones has bested Maria Moronta of Dominican Republic to reach semi-final at Tokyo Olympics. The Team USA boxer is now guaranteed a medal even if she loses in the semifinal round.
This fight was a technical masterclass from Jones. She sent her Dominican rival down on the canvas in second round and claimed the authority throughout the fight. When Moronta had recognized that she was going to lose on points, she went all in to clinch a knockout. However, Jones had other plans. The American welterweight kept her distance and never gave enough space for her opponent to catch her with a wild swing.
On the other hand, welterweight Delante Johnson has been seen off from the Olympics by Cuban boxer Roniel Iglesias. Johnson put up a good fight but he was no match for the experience the Cuban superstar has under his belt. Johnson was an underdog in this fight, taking on a boxer 10 years older than him. The 32-year-old is a four-time Olympian, won bronze in 2008 and gold in 2012 as a light welterweight.
Here are the fights that went down on Day 7:
• Beatriz Ferreira (Brazil) def. Shiy-yi Wu (Chinese Taipei)
• Raykhona Kodirova (Uzbekistan) def. Naomie Yumba (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
• Esra Yildiz (Turkey) def. Dayana Sanchez (Argentina)
• Mira Potkonen (Finland) def. Yeonji Oh (Republic of Korea)
Women’s welterweight (Quarterfinals)
• Oshae Jones (United States) def. Maria Moronta (Dominican Republic)
• Hong Gu (China) def. Alcinda Helena Panguana (Mozambique)
Men’s welterweight (Quarterfinals)
• Roniel Iglesias (Cuba) def. Delante Johnson (United States)
• Andrey Zamkovoy (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Eskerkhan Madiev (Georgia)
Men’s light heavyweight (Quarterfinals)
• Arlen Lopez (Cuba) def. Rogelio Romero (Mexico)
• Loren Alfonso Dominguez (Azerbaijan) def. Bayram Malkan (Turkey)
Men’s heavyweight (Quarterfinals)
• Abner Teixeira (Brazil) def. Hussein Iashaish (Jordan)
• Julio la Cruz (Cuba) def. Enmanuel Reyes Pla (Spain)