Ortiz: Wilder Won’t Make it to Fury
Luis Ortiz says he doesn’t understand why Deontay Wilder is already making plans for after their upcoming WBC Heavyweight Championship rematch.
On May 28, Wilder announced he would be accepting a rematch with Ortiz. Just three days later, however, Wilder announced contracts were also signed for a rematch with Tyson Fury that would take place following the Ortiz fight.
Wilder, when announcing the latter rematch, said all of his controversial fights must be dealt with ASAP. He claimed to not be looking past Ortiz, but through him.
“I’m not sure why he is so confident that he’s going to walk through me,” Ortiz said.
Wilder-Ortiz II is currently targeted for Sept. 28 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The pair previously met in March 2018 in Brooklyn, New York. Despite being troubled by Ortiz during the fight, Wilder managed to drop him and score a TKO in the 10th round.
Since that original fight, Wilder fought Fury to a split draw in December before scoring a first-round knockout of Dominic Breazeale two weeks ago.
Ortiz, meanwhile, has won three straight, scoring finishes of Razvan Cojanu and Travis Kauffman before a decision win over Christian Hammer in March.
Ortiz had the chance at a world title recently when he was offered to replace Jarrell Miller for Anthony Joshua’s unified title defense at Madison Square Garden. Ortiz’s team, however, rejected a $7 million package because of the short turnaround Ortiz would have.
It all has worked out now with the announcement of Wilder-Ortiz II. Of course, Wilder did announce a Fury rematch just days later, but that just gives “King Kong” more motivation.
I plan to finish what I started and bring that title back to Miami. Our first fight, he got lucky! But that won’t be the case in the rematch. I’m sure he plans to try to do the same, unfortunately, he needs me to cooperate for that to happen — which quite frankly was run out of gas.
“So if that’s his game plan, then he’s in for a rude awakening, Ortiz said. “Because the circumstances surrounding the reasons for which why I ran out of gas in our first fight have all been addressed and corrected. If there is already a deal in place to fight Fury in 2020, I have no problem replacing Deontay Wilder’s name with mine on the contract — assuming, of course, Fury wants to face the winner of our fight, which will be me.”
Original Story: Boxing Scene