Oscar: Canelo KOs GGG in Trilogy Bout
Rumors of a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin trilogy bout swirled earlier this week when the Nevada State Athletic Commission listed an event promoted by Golden Boy Boxing and GGG Promotions for Cinco De Mayo weekend.
Golden Boy head Oscar De La Hoya told CBS Sports that the listing with GGG Promotions was a mistake, and that while Alvarez, following his Dec. 15 fight with Rocky Fielding, is planned to fight next in May, no opponent is set in stone at this time.
“We just made the phone call and the state athletic commission made a mistake,” De La Hoya said to Brian Campbell of CBS Sports. “We have the hold for Canelo and it’s for an [opponent] to be announced. There is nothing set in stone and we haven’t even talked to Tom Loeffler’s people. There is no Golovkin fight whatsoever next year. We haven’t even discussed it and I haven’t thought about it. First things first is Dec. 15 and Rocky.”
De La Hoya, however, said he has no problems with a trilogy bout between the two — whose first two encounters were both universally praised across the boxing community. In fact, De La Hoya said he would be willing to even have a fourth and fifth fight between the two.
He also claims that if the trilogy bout happens, the result won’t go into the judges’ hands yet again, and that Alvarez will cleanly knock GGG out.
“Should there be [a third fight]? Would there be? Absolutely!” De La Hoya said. “There has to be a third fight, maybe even a fourth fight or a fifth. I sure hope so! But there is nothing for Cinco de Mayo or even for September with Golovkin.
Canelo bullied the bully [in their rematch]. That’s the only way he’s going to beat Golovkin. If you push Glolovkin back, he can not fight going backwards. Golovkin knows one mode and that’s forward. Canelo did a great job and if they fight again, I strongly believe Canelo will knock him out. And if they fight for a fourth time, Canelo will win again.
Original Story: Boxing Scene