Oscar De La Hoya Describes Canelo Alvarez Vs. Gennadiy Golovkin 3 A ‘F— Dud’
Oscar De La Hoya wasn’t too impressed on Saturday.
Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin met for the third time in the main event of a DAZN pay-per-view event from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez walked away with another win, this time with a 12-round unanimous decision.
Many fans said that this was the least action-packed bout of the trilogy – one of them being De La Hoya, Alvarez’s former promoter.
“The truth is everyone is afraid of speaking the truth,” De La Hoya wrote in a now-deleted tweet.
“‘[T]he fight was a f—–n dud. GGG was old [as] f— and [Canelo] can’t hold [Bernard] Hopkins’ jockstrap.”
The tone was completely different from a tweet that the Golden Boy promoter posted earlier that evening:
— Oscar De La Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) September 17, 2022
“Wishing @Canelo and @GGGBoxing all the best and may they have all the strength and courage possible to deliver the fans an all out WAR,” he wrote.
Alvarez and Golovkin first met in 2017 and it was considered one of the year’s best fights. The two fought to a split decision draw, though many argue that the then-unbeaten Golovkin deserved the victory.
They met again a year later when Alvarez earned a majority decision victory; this was also considered one of the year’s best fights.
Then came this past Saturday where many critics said it wasn’t the same. Though Alvarez outboxed Golovkin – Alvarez landed more power punches and total punches – spectators said that it lacked the intensity of its predecessors.
This was the first fight of the trilogy that Alvarez was not under Golden Boy Promotions.
After working together since 2009, Alvarez reportedly left the promotion in 2020. There is also an active lawsuit filed by Golovkin who said that he is still owed money by Golden Boy for his September 2018 rematch with Alvarez.
With Saturday’s win, Alvarez retained his undisputed super middleweight championship. This was Golovkin’s first time at the full super middleweight limit, fighting almost exclusively at middleweight for his 16-plus year career. This also snapped the Kazakhstan’s four-fight winning streak.