Oscar De La Hoya Hopes To See Gervonta Davis Vs. Ryan Garcia Happen
They are working on closing the deal for April 15.
The match between Gervonta Davis and Ryan Garcia is “almost” a done deal for April 15, but until now, nothing is set in stone.
Garcia’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya received the contract earlier last week. This development came a few days after threatening to move on from the fight. De La Hoya talked to DAZN about the recent developments regarding this situation.
“We have the contract in our possession, and it’s a long form. It’s very detailed. We are just gonna have to cross the T’s and dot the I’s, that’s basically it,” he said.
“Can I confirm? Obviously not, until it’s official-official, but as a fighter, as a promoter, as a fan that wants to see the fight, I can assure you this fight’s going to happen.
“Ryan Garcia and Gervonta Davis, I’m telling you, they haven’t wanted an opponent the way they want each other. They just want to go out there, because all the talking, and all the crap, the bullshit this-and-that, has been going back-and-forth for quite a while. Now it’s time to put your money where, you know, where it’s at.”
De La Hoya says that both fighters are preparing for the upcoming fight and are taking regular training sessions.
“I thought it was a solid performance, given the fact that (Garcia) was champion, given his past performances, given the fact that he’s a bigger guy. But I was surprised how at times, Gervonta had difficulties keeping him off or catching him,” La Hoya on Davis’ win over Hector Luis Garcia.
“When I see Gervonta fight, I love the guy. He’s the most explosive, entertaining fighter out there today, and that’s why he sells arenas. But when he’s gonna face Ryan Garcia, who’s a big kid who hits like a mule with both fists, who is fast as hell, who is gonna fight tall, who is gonna keep his range and his distance, it’s gonna be a good fight, it’s gonna be a great fight.”