Oscar Valdez Placed On ‘Probation’ By WBC, But Won’t Be Stripped Of Title

Oscar Valdez is able to hold onto his title belt until his September 10 matchup against Robson Conceição.

Valdez’s (29-0, 23 KOs) A and B-samples tested positive for the VADA-banned stimulant phentermine last week, but the WBC said they won’t be stripping the boxer of his super featherweight belt. Instead, they’re putting him on probation as a consequence.

Instead, the following will occur:

1. The WBC will officially sanction the Valdez v. Conceicao bout for the WBC World Super Featherweight Title, which will take place as originally scheduled on September 10, 2021. 
2. The WBC will donate the totality of the sanction fees it will receive from that bout into the WBC-CBP program and into the WBC José Sulaimán Boxers Fund. 
3. The WBC will design and implement several mandatory programs at Champion Valdez’ sole cost including: 
a. Taking a substantial number of random antidoping tests in the next six months as determined by the WBC-CBP; 
b. Enrollment, active participation, and strict compliance with a weight management program including nutrition and hydration components designed by the WBC Nutrition Committee; Champion Valdez and his team must receive completed certification of this program. 
c. Once he completes the above programs, Champion Valdez shall serve as a WBC Ambassador, whereupon he shall make a minimum of six personal appearances to promote and educate attendants on principles consistent with clean boxing, Weight management proper practices and with the WBC social responsibility values. 
4. The WBC will place Champion Valdez in probation status for a period of 12 months. Any whereabouts failure or adverse analytical finding during the probationary period will result in an indefinite suspension from all WBC activity, immediate suspension of recognition of any WBC privilege (championship or status) until the matter is resolved; and being shown as Not Available in WBC World ratings. 

After Valdez’s samples both tested positive, the Pascua Yaqui Tribe Athletic Commission and WBC consulted, and the two bodies agreed to allow the fight to proceed.

The test was done as part of the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program.

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said he thinks his organization made the right call.

“The history of Valdez, as a two Olympic Games and as professional has had more than 30 tests without ever having a doping problem; In addition, he is widely recognized by all members of the boxing community, pointing to him as a hardworking, clean, dedicated young man with an impeccable record,” he said.

“It is a real shame that there are those who do not have the slightest intention of studying and understanding what happened,” he added.

“They are not interested in seeing that it was a transparent and consistent process to the regulation, and they only choose to have their own opinion, their own conclusion, and thus express it publicly, hurting the image of a young person, as well as the integrity of the sport and the WBC.”

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

Sign Up For News

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.