The second PFL event took place on Saturday, but it led to one of the promotion’s biggest stars’ retirement.
Rory MacDonald lost by TKO to late replacement Dilano Taylor in the headliner. This put back MacDonald once again – going 2-4 in his last six fights – which led him to one decision: retirement.
— PFL (@PFLMMA) August 13, 2022
MacDonald holds a professional MMA record of 23-9-1. Despite losing to Sadibou Sy in his most recent fight back in July at PFL 6 2022, the former Canadian UFC title contender and Bellator champion advanced to the welterweight tournament semi-final. This is MacDonald’s second try to reach the championship round. At PFL 7 2021, during the previous season, future champion Ray Cooper III eliminated him from the playoffs.
Taylor, a former Titan FC champion, returns to the winning column, which was previously halted after running into Mahomed Magomedkerimov, who defeated him in the second round in July.
Elsewhere on the card, Carlos Leal lost to Sadibou Sy in the second semi-final match.
“The Swedish Denzel Washington” Sy has participated in every PFL season up to this point, but this is the first time he finished the regular season unblemished, defeating MacDonald and Nikolay Aleksakhin by the decision to give him the best chance to date of winning the championship.
Leal, a former LFA champion, advances to the playoffs despite beginning the season as an alternate and sitting out the second half. He got admitted thanks to his convincing decision victory in his first matchup against Cooper III.
Check out the rest of the results below:
- Lee Chadwickdef P. Mysiala Unanimous Dec
- Will Fleurydef Anthony Salamone Unanimous Dec
- Maxim Radudef Vojto Barborík KO/TKO, 1:50 R1
- Moktar Benkacivs. Francesco Nuzzi Ends in a No Contest
- Dilano Taylordef Rory MacDonald KO/TKO, 3:59 R1
- Ante Delijadef Renan Ferreira KO/TKO, 4:31 R1
- Matheus Scheffeldef Juan Adams KO/TKO, 3:45 R3
- Sadibou Sydef Carlos Leal Unanimous Dec
- Nate Kellydef Ben Ellis Sub, 2:45 R1
- Josh O’Connordef Emran Sakhizaada Sub, 2:56 R3
- Marcin Wójcikdef Mick Stanton Sub, 4:04 R1
- Chris Mixandef C. Stigenberg Split Dec
- Szymon Bajordef Ronny Markes Unanimous Dec