Povetkin Camp Anticipates Joshua Announcement
Alexander Povetkin’s promoter, Andrey Ryabinskiy is pretty confident that his fighter will be the next to challenge Anthony Joshua.
Povetkin, the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s WBA title, has been in negotiations with Joshua’s team and may beat out WBC champion Deontay Wilder, who also was negotiating with the British superstar’s team.
“Negotiations with Eddie [Hearn] are going good,” Ryabinskiy said in an interview with ESPN. “We have worked together before and feel that have a good enough relationship to handle things in a partner like manner.
“I think that Joshua will follow his obligations with the WBA and perform his mandatory against Povetkin.”
Wilder’s camp is equally hopeful that they’ll be the next fight for Joshua.
“I met with Eddie’s father, Barry [Hearn, head of Matchroom], this past Friday in New York and it was a good meeting,” Shelly Finkel, Wilder’s co-manager told ESPN earlier this week. “I’m hopeful that they will get back to me this week and that something can be done to make the fight in the fall. I’m optimistic.
“If we’re going to make the fight, the place where it will take place isn’t going to be the problem. We have no problem going to the U.K. It never was a problem. Deontay has never had a problem with that.”
The WBA would most likely be open to sanction a unification fight between Joshua and Wilder provided that Povetkin fights the winner for the WBA belt.
Original Report: ESPN